Fortinet has unveiled a new SD-WAN (software-defined wide-area networking) solution for organizations with a multi-cloud strategy.
The company said that the move is a way to ease the pressure on enterprises that lack expertise and IT specialists to establish secure and reliable connectivity between IaaS (infrastructure-as-a-service) workloads, hosted in multiple clouds and on-premises.
Forget the traditional approach
Fortinet said that what they are offering is an improvement on the usual scenarios of organizations that connect their multiple cloud environments with their on-premises data centers’ WAN.
The company said “The use of this type of traditional WAN infrastructure approach, though secure, inhibits multi-cloud capabilities and results in deployment complexity, inconsistent network performance, and expensive connectivity”
A host of features
The Fortinet solution works on all major cloud providers. According to the company, it will improve network architecture using SD-WAN capabilities between cloud environments and helping app developers and enterprise IT to build a better high-speed secure network architecture..
The result will be high-speed, better security for cloud-to-cloud networks, and performance improvement. The best parts are:
- Automating the deployment of a consistent overlay network across different cloud networks, reducing complexity and increasing agility to save teams time and resources.
- Offering end-to-end visibility, control, and centralized management that unifies functionality across multiple cloud environments through cloud native integrations.
- Securely transporting application traffic between clouds without needing to backhaul through the data center, enabling better scaling of deployments and reducing latency.
- Intelligently selecting connections based on application characteristics employing dynamic path selection, improving performance and optimizing cost by selecting the best internet or leased line link.
- Providing an application developer-friendly API to enable programmers the ability to consistently represent their network and security requirements.
The release of the SD-WAN is available through FortiGate-VM.