Ultimaker announces new material profiles in Ultimaker Cura 3.6. The new version of the print preparation software offers, among other things, a marketplace where users can download print profiles.
These material profiles are fully optimized for Ultimaker 3D printers. This eliminates the need for end users to manually set the parameters for printing. Recent hardware introductions from Ultimaker, such as the Ultimaker S5, in combination with the new CC Red 0.6 print core, make it possible to print with composite and abrasive materials.
New material profiles
In Ultimaker Cura 3.6 a number of new material profiles have been made available, which the company lists as follows:
- BASF: PP GF30 is particularly suitable for components in environments where chemical resistance is required. Think of pipes, but also of automotive.
- Clarant: Exolit flame retardant PA6/66 and Exolit flame retardant PA6/66 with 20 per cent glass fibre are both suitable for the production of parts such as switchgear, enclosures for electrical components, electronics and automotive components that have flame retardant requirements.
- DSM: Novamid ID1030 CF1030 CF1030 CF10, PA6/66 reinforced with carbon fiber, creates stronger, harder and stiffer printed parts similar to the simplicity and speed of non-reinforced plastics. They are suitable for applications such as shoes, but because of their heat resistance they are also suitable for electronics.
- DuPont: Zytel 3D1000FL is a non-reinforced polyamide that hardly shrinks. Hytrel 3D41000FL is a polyester elastomer with shore D60 hardness in the x, y and z directions. Both materials are suitable for industrial applications, automotive and consumer products.
- Owens Corning: Glass fibre reinforced polypropylene (XSTRAND GF-30 PP) and polyamide 6 (XSTRAND GF-30 PA6) are suitable for applications that require powerful and durable components and have to operate in harsh conditions and extreme temperatures, both indoors and outdoors.
Ultimaker’s introduction of new 3D printing plastics is a smart move. The demand for filaments useful for industrial applications is high and will continue to grow. The market for 3D printing plastics is expected to be worth $1.9 billion in 2023. The filament segment would be worth by far the most in the future.
Ultimaker Cura 3.6 is now available for download. Material profiles for BASF, Clariant, DSM, DuPont and Owens Corning can be downloaded from the Marketplace in Ultimaker Cura 3.6.This news article was automatically translated from Dutch to give Techzine.eu a head start. All news articles after September 1, 2019 are written in native English and NOT translated. All our background stories are written in native English as well. For more information read our launch article.