Google, a subsidiary of Alphabet, is said to have ended its cooperation with Huawei. The Internet giant would have stopped supplying hardware, software and technical services, with the exception of what is available through open source licenses. That puts an insider against Reuters.
According to that insider, Huawei immediately loses access to updates of Google’s Android operating system. Future versions of the Chinese company’s smartphones running on Android, also lose access to popular services such as the Google Play Store, Gmail and YouTube. “Huawei will then only be able to use the public version of Android and will no longer be able to access Google’s own apps and services.
A Google spokesman says that owners of current Huawei smartphones will continue to have access to Google apps. His app updates from Google can also continue to use and download. “For users of our services, Google Play and the security of Google Play Connect will continue to function on existing devices,” said the spokesperson.
Google’s move follows after the government of U.S. president Trump Huawei blacklisted last week. As a result, Huawei is no longer allowed to buy parts and components from American companies without the permission of the American government. “We comply with the order and look at the implications,” said Google’s spokesman. A Huawei spokesman says the company is also investigating the impact of the blacklist.
However, it is not only Google that is terminating its collaboration with Huawei. Other insiders argue to Bloomberg that chip manufacturers Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom have told their employees that they no longer supply the Chinese manufacturer.
This could have a major impact on Huawei, which is the second largest smartphone vendor in the world. In addition, Trump’s move may also affect the roll-out of 5G networks, as Huawei provides equipment for this.
However, the Chinese manufacturer would have collected enough chips and other vital components to keep his business running for at least another three months. The manufacturer would have been preparing for a ban in the US since mid-2018. According to insiders, it therefore collected components and started designing its own chips.This news article was automatically translated from Dutch to give Techzine.eu a head start. All news articles after September 1, 2019 are written in native English and NOT translated. All our background stories are written in native English as well. For more information read our launch article.